The ABA Journal Blog reports on a ground-breaking agreement between TN Shelby County and the US Dep’t of Justice. The agreement regards the juvenile judicial system, includes the following provisions:
- Teens will be advised of their Miranda Rights;
- Teens will get a probable cause hearing on detention within 48 hours; and
- Teens will get help from specially trained public defenders.
This agreement arose from a federal investigation which found the following:
- Black teens were twice as likely as white teens to be detained;
- Black teens were transferred to adult criminal court for low-level offenses;
- Black teens were subjected to unnecessary restraints;
- Black teens were not advised of their Miranda rights; and
- Black teens were held in detention on weekends and holidays because no probable cause hearings were held.